Kidney stones are the condition where irregularly shaped stones made up of minerals and salts form inside a person's kidneys and these stones can be the size of a grain of sand to a golf ball. It is a common condition that can cause pain in the side, and blood in the urine and causes problems or damage to the kidney's functions.
Kidneys are one of the most important organs in the body as they remove waste products and excess fluids, release hormones, balance the body's fluid, and more. For the best diagnosis and treatments of various kidney diseases like kidney stones, you can visit the best nephrologist in Siliguri.
Many factors can cause kidney stones including diet, specific supplements and medications, medical conditions, obesity, and more. Generally, kidney stones don’t cause any symptoms until it moves around in the kidney or passes into the uterus. Some of the common signs and symptoms of kidney stones are as follows:
- Pink, red, or brown urine
- Severe, sharp pain in the side below the ribs
- Pain or burning during urination
- Cloudy or foul-smelling urine
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Pain that radiates to the lower abdomen and groin
- Fever and chills due to an infection
- Fluctuating intense pain
Treatments for kidney stones depend on the size of the stones and the health condition of the person. Generally, small kidney stones don’t require extreme treatment and can be easily passed by drinking enough water which helps dilute the urine and can also prevent the stone from forming, pain relievers or medication, and medical therapy.
Kidney stones that are too large to pass can cause bleeding, and health problems and can even damage the kidneys. These types of stones require extensive treatment and some of those treatments can include:
- Sound wave treatment – is a procedure that uses sound waves to create strong vibrations that break the large stone into tiny pieces that can be easily passed.
- Surgery – involves removing a kidney stone using small instruments inserted through an incision in the back.
- Scope removal – is the process where the doctor passes a thin lighted tube equipped with a camera to locate the stone and tools are used to break it into small pieces.
- Parathyroid gland surgery – is used in conditions where the stones are caused by an overactive parathyroid gland and treating this gland can stop the formation of kidney stones.
If you have symptoms or are suffering from kidney stones then it is important to visit the best nephrologist in Siliguri to get the best diagnosis and quality treatments. Experts nephrologists provide professional care, the best facilities, and medical counseling against various gastrointestinal diseases.