Acute kidney failure is a condition that occurs when your kidneys are suddenly unable to filter out the toxins in your bloodstream. When the filtering ability of the kidneys is compromised, it leads to a huge build up of waste materials in the body altering the blood’s chemical balance in the process. This condition is notorious for being a silent killer as it develops rapidly usually over a span of a few days. Acute kidney failure is most common in people who are already hospitalized, particularly patients that are critically ill and in need of intensive care. Acute kidney failure can be fatal for people with terrible health conditions and requires intensive treatment. However, it may be reversible if you're otherwise in good health. Any kidney doctor in Siliguri will advise you to go for regular kidney screenings to avoid acute kidney failure.
Table of contents:
- Impaired blood flow to the kidneys
- Damage to the kidneys
- Urine blockage in the kidneys
Here are few of the common causes of kidney failure listed by a kidney doctor in Siliguri.
Impaired blood flow to the kidneys
Listed below are some of the diseases and condition that reportedly slow down the blood flow to the kidneys.
- Blood or fluid loss
- Blood pressure medications
- Heart attack
- Heart disease
- Liver failure
- Over use of aspirin, paracetamol, naproxen sodium or related drugs
- Severe allergic reaction
- Severe burns
- Severe dehydration
Damage to the kidneys
These are some of the diseases, conditions and agents that may damage the kidneys leading to acute kidney failure:
- Blood clots in the arteries and veins in and around the kidneys
- Cholesterol deposits responsible for blocking the blood flow in the kidneys
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome
- Viral Infections
- Medications like chemotherapy drugs, antibiotics and dyes used in imaging tests
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura
- Toxins like alcohol, heavy metals and cocaine
- Muscle tissue breakdown
- Breakdown of tumor cells leading to the release of toxins that can cause kidney injury
Urine blockage in the kidneys
The following diseases and conditions block the passage of urine out of the body presumably leading to acute kidney injury.
- Bladder cancer
- Blood clots in the urinary tract
- Cervical cancer
- Colon cancer
- Enlarged prostate
- Kidney stones
- Nerve damage to the nerves involved in bladder control
- Prostate cancer
Kejriwal’s Nursing Home is one of the best multi-specialist hospitals in the city. This hospital hosts the best kidney doctors in Siliguri and is renowned for the services provided by its nephrology department. We have dedicated ourselves to provide state-of-the-art care to patients with kidney disorders in a hassle-free and cost-effective manner.